Email Format

By Care_SMC via compfight

I recently got a call from a friend who was frustrated. She’s had eczema her whole life and often dealt with stares and questions from people who simply didn’t understand what it was. Recently, her job informed her they had received complaints from people who assumed she was contagious. Their answer to this was that she would have to wear long sleeves year round now. Fact is, besides often being misunderstood eczema can usually be effectively treated.

What is it?

Eczema is a skin condition that affects men and women of all ages. Often it occurs in infants and children and is outgrown by adulthood, though that is not always the case.  Typically,  it is treated by medications that contain steroids which only treat the symptoms and have no focus on the problem.  This chronic skin condition is commonly hereditary and comes with a family history of food allergies and asthma.

Symptoms:

• Blisters with oozing and crusting
  • Raw areas from scratching
  • Inflammation
  • Rashes
  • Dry skin
  • Ear discharge or bleeding
  • Leather-like areas

Diet

Some doctors and dermatologist believe food and diet play little role in this condition. However, most people that have successfully stopped eczema from taking over their lives will tell you the first thing they changed was their diet. Food allergies and certain food intolerance”s are often the cause an increase in eczema. By Caesars Entertainment is the owner of four of AC’s Casinos , even though Caesars is eager for cash, it is also pinned a lot of its salvation to possessing the majority of New Jersey’s online market, so it’s unlikely to really make it any simpler for skilled European online operators to provide competition. promoting good gut health, especially in children you can often help prevent an outbreak. Many have found a real food diet to be beneficial and often start with a GAPS diet for gut health and healing. You can also try eliminating certain foods and looking for improvement – start with common allergies like gluten, soy, and dairy.

Triggers

Often Eczema starts with a trigger – and this may not always be diet related. Some common one are:

• Stress
  • Dust
  • Certain fabrics – such as wool, synthetics, or other rough materials.
  • Detergents – use a natural, fragrance- free, low pH detergent.
  • Tobacco smoke
  • Extreme cold
  • Heat and humidity
  • Pollen
  • Harsh chemicals – these can be anywhere (makeup, lotions, perfumes, soaps, ect)
  • Pet dander
  • Diet/food allergy

From this list you can see many of the triggers are caused by unnatural chemicals, additives, and preservatives. I believe the increase in diagnosed cases of eczema come from a combination of an increase in unnatural chemicals and additives in the products we use and the foods we eat.

Treatment:

Treating eczema starts with knowing what causes it. Once you figure out what the trigger is you can better control it and often stop it all together. However, until it is under control the symptoms can be treated naturally by:

• FCLO – fish oils not only boost the immune system but are also known to reduce allergic responses.
  • Calendula oil – you can add this to a bath or rub it on the skin. It is anti-inflammatory and a very good healing source for the skin.
  • Probiotics – naturally post your bodies immune response.
  • Tea tree oil – can be added to a bath, used as with a carrier oil, or made into a cream.
  • Flax seed - omega=3 fatty-acids have been known to greatly improve eczema.

Summary

Eczema is common but that isn”t a comfort to the millions who have it. A natural, green lifestyle can greatly improve symptoms by cutting out the things that so commonly trigger reactions. By eating real food, boosting your immune system, and avoiding known triggers you should be able to keep eczema from taking over your life.

How do you handle eczema symptoms? Do you control it all together with diet?

Like what you just read? Stay in touch with our newsletter!

Email Format

1. My daughter’s eczema is triggered by gluten. When she is gluten free it clears right up. I make a salve for her when she does have flare ups that works great. http://www.naturallivingmamma.com/2012/01/28/ellies-eczema-salve-improved/

2. I get stress-related eczema on my legs. I discovered this quite by accident but, hey, it works, lol! I have a fruit smoothie every morning consisting of 1/2 c. OJ, 1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries and one ripe banana. I believe that the more “live” foods you eat are loaded with antioxidants, healthy enzymes and such the healthier, inside and out, you’ll be!

3. well since my daughter had numerous triggers we started NAET treatments. They actually treat the allergy or sensitivity – it was much easier than avoiding most food! AND come to find out, those trigger nutrients were not being absorbed by her body and once she was treated her skin cleared, her eyes brightened and her hair started growing in thicker and longer! She is a blondie with thin hair that didn’t seem to want to grow! We’ve been so impressed with NAET!

4. My 5 yr old daughter has had terrible psoriasis for a couple years now. This is similar to eczema, but different. Doctors told us there was no “cure” and that she should go on steroids. They didn’t think diet had anything to do with it. ha! When we removed gluten and dairy from her diet, we saw tremendous improvement! So I am totally convinced that this is the right path. Not steroids for the rest of her life! I now need to add in the “good stuff” she should be having to help boost her system. Thanks for the recommendations!

• I am not sure why so many doctors don’t want to look to diet in cases like this. Often, it certainly has something to do with it! I am glad you knew you had other options. :)

5. My exclusively breastfed infant daughter has some rough spots on her skin that I think is the beginnings of eczema. I have been told to eliminate dairy from diet. I’m already putting coconut oil and recently calendula oil on the spots, without improvement. We use Bio-kleen laundry detergent and a fragrance free/non-toxic baby wash (only bath her twice a week). What are your thoughts?

• There could be any number of other things triggering it. Eliminating dairy and gluten from your diet would be a good place to start. Hope you can figure out the cause!

6. I was astonished you did not mention epsom salt? Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system, and keeps bones strong. Magnesium also helps regulate blood sugar levels, promotes normal blood pressure, and is known to be involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis There is an increased interest in the role of magnesium in preventing and managing disorders such as hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. Dietary magnesium is absorbed in the small intestines. Magnesium is excreted through the kidneys. I have had nothing but success with it for my skin inflammation problems and it won of my little girls long time battle with eczema in 2 baths of epsom salt, completely clear lol in fact I would go as far as to say not only will it clear the eczema up but it would probably also contribute greatly to fixing the source of the problem in the first place.

• Jamie,
      I am glad that worked for you! There are many treatments out there depending on the source of the problem for each person and I certainly did not cover them all. Thank you for sharing!

• Would you mind sharing how much epsom salts you added to how much water in the bath? How long should one soak? Thanks!

7. Found out gluten was a trigger for me more than 15 years ago. Gave it up and I have not had so much as an inkling of a breakout since!

8. Dairy, dairy, dairy! In our family, remove the dairy, remove the eczema. So simple, yet my dh just won’t listen. He just treats with prescriptions that don’t really work and it goes round and round..
    My children get it if we have cow milk and as they get older, they can tolerate a little dairy but not more than 1 time and then skip a few days and have some more. Mostly in the form of cheese.
    We have dairy goats and they can use that a little, with very little issues, but again, we don’t have it every day.

Amy J

9. All about gluten for me too. Discovered after 25 years of frustration. So glad I found what cured me. Feels great!

10. I suddenly had eczema like symptoms on my face and the face wash / cleanser I had been using for years started agitating it even more. I tried several other brands meant for sensitive, eczema prone skin, everything would worsen it. Finally I came to know of Made from Earth products. None of their products agitate my skin. Started using the Aloe & Jojoba Therapy and the Green Tea Cleanser. My face is completely clear and healthy now. I have seen a major improvements. It reduced redness, itchiness and breakouts.

11. It have found several things that help. Avoid all sulfates, this means in shampoo, body soap, hand soap, dish detergent and laundry soap. If you can ,find replacements that have tea tree in them Next. Avoid all moisturizers with water or alcohol in them. I use palmers coca butter in the jar ( only use the jar. The others have water and alcohol in them). Or I make my own moisturizing bars. I have found tea tree balm helpful for clearing up breakouts when I’m traveling and can’t avoid sulfates. Lastly like another user said magnesium. So good for so many things. I use either magnesium oil or magnesium pills every day. I have not had a full breakout of eczema since I made these changes. Good luck,

12. I have also read about a family who started using handcrafted goat’s milk soap to heal their eczema. All natural with no chemicals or preservatives is great for all skin types.

13. Our daughter had terrible excels on her face as an infant. Nobody could think if anything did her. I finally walked into our local health food store and asked if they had any ideas at all.
    The lady suggested trying Emu Oil. It worked like a charm! Needless to say we always have some in the house now. It works for all kinds of issues.
    We did finally figure out that bananas were a trigger and now as she’s older, snow mold and certain pollens. No drugs necessary though :)

14. My 5 month old son has been suffering from awful eczema on his head since birth. It’s red and inflamed, mostly on the crown of his head and on his upper cheek/forehead area. The poor guy scratches himself constantly until he bleeds, and I almost have to hold his hands down all the time or they immediately go up to itch. He looks like a tiger attacked him! It’s embarrassing for us and so uncomfortable for him. I trim his nails constantly, and he wears socks on his hands, but I want him to be able to use his fingers.

The problem is, nothing has worked, and it doesn’t seem to be any of the common triggers I find online. He’s formula fed (he was adopted), so I can’t “change my diet.” (Heck, we’re dairy free, gluten free anyway!) We tried going to soy formula early on, and it made him scream constantly where before he was always happy, so that was a no go. (Back on Similac, back to normal). I don’t think it’s detergent because I use baby friendly ones, and there’s no eczema anywhere the clothes touch. I’m very “green…” I use all natural cleaners around the house like baking soda and vinegar. We do have pets, but his birthmom also had pets and had no allergies, and again, I feel like it’d be in more places than his head or he’d had other symptoms.

The doctor immediately suggested Aquaphor, but I don’t like all the chemical ingredients in it, so I tried a barrage of natural remedies first. Olive oil, jojoba oil, shea butter, coconut oil, cocoa butter, and Burt’s Bees Baby Bees ointment. Nothing made a difference, and they all just made him super greasy all the time, to the point where holding him for cuddles kept making my face break out in awful acne! Lately he seemed so desperate that I broke down and tried Aquaphor and then Cetaphil cream. The Cetaphil seems to help slightly, but he’s still really itchy.

I’m at the end of my rope! I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to put him on unnecessary meds like steroids so young. But he’s so miserable, and the angry rash and sores on his head look so ouchy. What else can I try?

• Hi Laci, I feel for you and your son. My 4 yr old son has also had eczema since birth. In the last 6 months it has worsened. I finally found that it was dairy that was causing his reaction. But in my research I found out that GMO foods could be a cause as well. I am wondering if you were to try switching to Earths Best formula, if that might help. I wish you the best!

15. I just recently found out that I have Eczema only on my left hand, but I have known for a while it was from constantly washing my hands throughout the day. Between taking care of my son and daily chores I was washing my hands constantly. It wasn’t until a year later and after a big move that it seemed to have gotten worse. My diet and mood haven’t changed, though I did have some stress from going back to school (online full time) and my son at home with me. I had tried all sorts of hand creams and nothing worked and was getting worse with one brand I had tried. But I had tried petroleum jelly at one point and thought I would try it again, and it worked! Not even a day later I noticed a huge difference in it! Now just a week later it’s hardly noticeable. My hand still gets dry every few hours, but it still beats what it was looking like when I wasn’t using this. Just thought I would share this as another alternative if other options are not working for other people. But I do love the idea of putting tea tree oil in a bath! I am going to have to try that one out =)

16. Laci, I’m a mother of a 7 mo daughter who is has similar prob to your little on but mine is all over the body. I changed formula to one without dha in it and I’ve had some improvement now I’m trialing epsom salt baths. I have suffered from exzema since I was little so I know their pain

17. You might try doing some searches on castor oil, raw apple cider vinegar, and essential oils. Also Dr. Joel Wallach has lectures on nutrition that teach about essential vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids to help heal the body and foods to avoid.