Homemade Non-Toxic Carpet Cleaner

beth March 5, 2013

When it comes to ones health most people forget about all the toxic products we use day in and day out. Many of which contain chemicals you do not want to come into contact with your body – especially on a regular basis. Carpet cleaner is one of these. Some contain hydroxyacetic acid, butoxyethanol, monohexyl ether, alcohol, bleaches and enzymes that they recommend do not come into contact with the skin. So, why use them on something you walk on all the time?

Natural Carpet Cleaner

You can easily make your own carpet cleaner with just a few simple ingredients:

The added benefits to using essential oils are numerous:

• Mouse deterrent
  • Kills fleas and their eggs
  • Freshens the scent of the room
  • Disinfects

Homemade Carpet Cleaner

To begin, add all your ingredients into a mixing bowl. The essential oils are pretty flexible. However, you want to keep in mind certain things depending on which oils you intend to use. Some are not healthy of babies or pregnant mothers. Others are not best for use around children. Know your oils before you use them.

Homemade Carpet Cleaner

If you get clumps (like I did because I stored my borax above the washer and dryer) just smash them up. Sometimes the oils will also make it want to clump – wait until it is dry and then give it a good stir.

Homemade Carpet Cleaner

Put your cleaner in a container or sprinkle by hand over the carpet! I always hang on to old spice containers for things like this. They work great. Let it sit for half a hour and then vacuum it up!

Do You Make Homemade Products To Avoid Harmful Ingredients? Like What?

1. I have always used borax to get rid of roaches and other bugs in our storage room. Nice to know it can clean carpet too. I guess it would keep roaches and other bugs from coming in your house as well.

2. Just made this with lemon oil; it smells great, and it’s sitting on my carpet now – thanks!

3. […] 51. homemade, non-toxic carpet cleaner […]

4. […] Homemade Non-toxic Carpet Cleaner […]

5. http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/blogs/avoid-borax-in-your-green-cleaning-products

Men working in boric acid-producing factories have a greater risk of decreased sperm count and libido. According to EPA’s safety review of these pesticides, chronic exposure to high doses of borax or boric acid causes testicular atrophy in male mice, rats and dogs.

Animal studies reviewed by the EPA indicate that while the female reproductive system is less sensitive to borax, exposure to it can also lead to reduced ovulation and fertility. Borax and boric acid can cross the placenta, affecting fetal skeletal development and birth weight in animal studies of high-dose exposures.

6. […] Homemade, Non-Toxic Carpet Cleaner by Modern Alternative Mama […]

7. Thanks for share this article. It’s really help us in future.

8. Glad to see a carpet cleaner note that tea tree oil is toxic to cats so when using oils becareful,also borax is said to kill fleas. yea thanks.

9. Those are pretty simple and straightforward tips. Borax is indeed one of the best carpet cleaning products nowadays. Storing homemade cleaning materials at home is quite an assurance not just for your health, but for your budget, too. I would love to see the result. Keep on sharing stuff like this!

10. So I just made this with rosemary which smells great but then got to wondering if this is safe for cats and dogs. Any ideas? Im hoping that since rosemary was mentioned in the article, that it is okay.

11. Hey! I simply want to give a huge thumbs up for the great information you might have right here on this post. I will likely be coming back to your blog for extra soon.

12. […] Non-Toxic Carpet Cleaner – This is a powder you need to use when […]