Email Format

Image by Brian Jackson

It seems that there is a lot of talk about Cod liver oil these days, also referred to as CLO. It comes highly recommended by many people, but why? What is all the fuss about? Well, it turns out, they have good reason to recommend it. It has some amazing health benefits that you may not be aware of.

Where did it originate?

According to Jordan Rubin in his book The Great Physician”s Rx, Cod liver oil began showing up in the fishing communities of Norway, Scotland, and Iceland in the middle of the nineteenth century. They endured harsh winters with long periods of darkness in some of the most remote places in the world. During illness they turned to cod liver oil because they had learned over the years that its medicinal properties were a natural, effective remedy for many of the infections that ailed them. By the 1890’s Cod liver oil was commonly used to treat rickets in malnourished children, and adults relied upon it when they complained of rheumatism or arthritis. They believe it lubricated the joints.

What are the benefits?

• Thins the blood
  • Protects arteries from damage
  • Inhibits blood clots
  • Reduces blood triglycerides
  • Lowers LDL blood cholesterol
  • Lowers blood pressure
  • Reduces risk of heart attack and stroke
  • Eases symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis
  • Reduces risk of lupus
  • Relieves migraine headaches
  • Fights inflammation
  • Helps regulate the immune system
  • Inhibits cancer
  • Soothes bronchial asthma
  • Combats early kidney disease
  • Reduces heart disease
  • Reduces infant development abnormalities

One of the most important fats to intake, Omega-3 fatty acids, are found in Cod liver oil. Omega-3 fatty acids are highly concentrated in cold-water fish such as salmon, sardines, bluefish, herring, lake trout, mackerel, sablefish, whitefish, bluefin tina, anchovies, as well as in cod liver oil. Cod liver oil also contains EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), Vitamin A, and Vitamin D.

Jordan Rubin also says that Cod liver oil contains more Vitamin A per unit weight than any other common foods, almost 3x more than beef liver, the next richest source. If you don’t regularly eat beef liver or butter produced from grass fed cows, you are possibly deficient in Vitamin A.

According to Patrick Quillin, PhD, RD, CNS of the book Beating Cancer with Nutrition, “Fish oil is therapeutic and can help to slow cancer. Cod liver oil augments immune system, improves production of favorable prostaglandin PGE-1, prevents metastasis of cancer cells by changing the stickiness of cells, improves cell membrane dynamics to augment nutrients absorption and toxin elimination.” (bcwn p247) “Fish oil may be as effective as any cancer treatment available. In a study examining end-stage refractory cancer patients who had exhausted all chemo and radiation options, fish oil supplements provided a substantial improvement in length of life and immune functions.” That sounds pretty technical, but I think it basically boils down to the fact that Cod liver oil is powerful stuff, and can be an effective treatment against cancer cells.

Ramiel Nagel author of Cure Tooth Decay studied Dr. Weston Price’s findings on tooth decay and how to reverse it. Dr. Price found that indigenous groups which had the highest immunity to tooth decay ate daily from at least two of the following principal fat-soluble vitamin sources:

• Dairy products from grass-fed animals
  • Organs and head meat from fish and shellfish (such as Cod liver)
  • Organs of land animals

Dr. Price’s tooth decay curing protocol included 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons per day of fermented cod liver oil.

What to look for when buying Cod liver oil?

Look for Cod liver oil that has not had artificial Vitamin D added, and hasn’t been bleached, deodorized or distilled. Most likely the fat soluble Vitamin A and D are destroyed in that process.

Is fermented better?

It is said that fermented Cod Liver oil retains more of the vitamins because there is no heating or distillation of the oil.

How to take it?

Cod liver oil is available in lemon, mint and other flavors to mask the taste and smell. Some say it is an acquired taste, and that it may take a few weeks of getting used to. You can also purchase it in capsule form.

Do you use Cod liver oil? What health benefits have you received from it? How do you take it? Straight, or with a little help?

Angela Montgomery is a wife, homeschooling mom, photographer, organic gardener and lover of all things natural. She is a certified holistic health coach who works individually with busy moms who need support reaching their health and weight loss goals. She also offers support with group health coaching, healthy recipes, healthy pantry makeovers and health seminars. You can find out more about Angela and the programs she offers at Real Whole Health You can also find her on Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter @RealWholeHealth

Like what you just read? Stay in touch with our newsletter!

Email Format

1. I just bought some Fermented oil from Green Pastures Orange flavored. But now how do i get my kids to ingest it. I think that i should have bought the no flavor kind! Any ideas how to mask this oil? Thanks

• I just bought the SAME exact kind and my 9yr old DOES not like it but she’ll take it.
      My 2yr old.. OH boy. I have to mix small amounts, in his oatmeal and spoon it to him, to make sure he takes it all. I feed him soaked steel cut oatmeal so its pretty good at hiding stuff and even then he started to taste it in a few bites.

• I bought the lemon flavored and I mix it in 6oz of favorite juice. I usually use orange juice and don’t even notice the flavor. It is actually tolerable just as it is but for kids the juice works. Even 2 or 3 oz would work.

• Capsules…. the best way to go.

2. Looking for suggestions for a good cod liver supplement. Help please?

• Diana, there are several good brands.Two brands that Jordan Rubin recommends in his books are “Garden of Life” and “Living Fuel”. “Green Pastures” is a good fermented brand.

3. Amanda, I put it in my 2 and 1/2 year old’s smoothie every other day. I have also put it in a small bowl of yogurt. He has been taking it for awhile now with no complaints. I first tried it mixed just in water and did not mix well at all and it also burned my throat, so I also take it this way as well. Hope this helps! :-)

4. I take Barlean’s Fish Oil Supplement. The ingredients say “Purified Fish oil (Salmon Oil and/or Cod Liver Oil). Is this good enough or should I be looking into something different?

• Jessi, I would suggest that you contact the company and find out exactly how it is purified before deciding to change. If it has been bleached, deodorized or distilled, most likely the fat soluble Vitamin A and D are destroyed in that process

5. Don’t buy unflavored – we thought the same thing after the Cinnamon flavor was too spicy for out littles. But unflavored was NOT good either. They line up an clamor for the peppermint FCLO though – literally beg to be first (ages 6, 4, and 2). It’s pretty tasty (for FCLO).

6. Does anyone have any experience with FCLO and fish allergies? I’ve heard that people with fish allergies don’t react with fish oils, but I’m a bit nervous to try it.

• Alicia, I would suggest talking to a doctor to be sure. I have read that people with fish “sensitivities” can take CLO, but people with deadly allergic reactions to fish can not. I am not a doctor though!

7. What is good to take for healthy joints? Is FCLO good for this?

8. I have taken FCLO all last winter and just started back up last week. I take the original flavor but I add a little celtic salt to the bottle. My children take the butter oil/FCLO capsules with water. It is an acquired taste, but the benefits SO outweight the acquired taste you get over it. Just hold you nose, swollow the FCLO, breathe out still holding your nose, take a sip of something stronge, breathe out, take another sip, breathe out and let your nose go. You will never taste it. At least that works for me.

9. [...] The Many Health Benefits of Cod Liver Oil | Modern Alternative Health [...]

10. Why haven’t you guys tried capsules? No taste there!

11. I like Carlson’s CLO or fine fish oil. (lemon flavored)

12. My cousin and I both have asthma. She tried cold press COL for three months she does not have to use her rescue inhaler any more. Now I am useing it so it can help me.

13. My cousin recomended cold press CLO. She and I both have asthma. She says she doese not use her rescue inhaler any more after takeing CLO for three straight months.

14. anyone out here taking cod liver oil for “osteo” and if so what results if any did you experience ???

15. I started giving my 3 & 1/2 year old borderline Autistic son Nordic Natural CLO 3 months ago. Within 2 weeks my husband and I noticed more eye contact and more attempt at communicating w/ us. Within a month of starting his speech therapist commented on seeing longer attention span when working w/ him and he was attempting more words. After a month we tripled his dose from 1 tsp to 3 tspn spread through out the day. It has been amazing. It is the first time in a year of speech therapy that we have seen progress.

• Wow – that’s amazing.. my son is 4 and started speaking quite late.. he has started talking a lot recently but think i should give my kids this stuff also.
      I ve been taking vitamin and CLO pills for a few months now and can definitely see an improvement in my hair growth, nails etc.

My brain is still the same the low IQ though.. LOL

16. [...] Modern Health Alternative, [...]

17. Thank you for the work. Article aided me a lot

18. I have been taking fermented cod liver oil for two weeks now. I have to take it right before a full meal so it does not repeat on me. But, I have seen an amazing difference in my mood and my energy level. I have also been doing oil pulling for over a month and hope my oral health improves.

19. I recently bought the Green Pastures CLO (in Cinnamon tingle)& butter Oil (capsules) for myself & my children. I was very hesitant to give it to my children who are very picky eaters, but suprisingly, my children actually LIKE the CLO! They take 1 tsp a night with some OJ and then i break open the butter capsules (bc they cannot swallow pills yet) and i spread it on a cracker with peanut butter. They give me a harder time with the butter oil than they do with the CLO- go figure!
    We did find that it repeats on you if you have an empty stomach, so we tend to take it after dinner. You will still get a few fishy burps, but its not nearly as bad.

• I prefer to take mine after dinner as well for the exact same reason – fishy burps are not pleasant. :) Love how well your kids have taken to it!

20. I have been taking CLO for a couple of years, I read in a health that it was good for joints, my joints have improved plus my hair and skin. I also read that it should be taken on an empty stomach as lubricates your system before eating.

21. [...] The Many Health Benefits of Cod Liver Oil | Modern Alternative Health [...]

22. I take cod liver oil with a small amount of fruit juice, down in one! My nails are in better condition, and I feel healthier. Some brands are sold as ‘cod liver oil’, not ‘pure cod liver oil’. If it is not pure cod liver oil it could contain fish oils from other parts of the fish, and have added vitamins.

I have just read that fish oils are linked to prostrate cancer. Is this true?

23. Chase the cod liver oil with OJ or another citrus juice. It completely kills the aftertaste.

24. [...] Lightly Lemon Cod Liver Oil- This stuff is a proclaimed cure-all and is loaded with Vitamins A, D, E and Omega-3′s. I’ve been taking it for almost a [...]

25. […] also used in the healing of glaucoma and cancers.  You can check out the endless benefits here, here and […]

26. […] Acids. This powerhouse real food helps regulate and improve overall function of your immune system [source]. Read more about Fermented Cod Liver Oil here and here. Shot Recipe: Fermented Cod Liver Oil comes […]

27. […] Acids. This powerhouse real food helps regulate and improve overall function of your immune system [source]. Read more about Fermented Cod Liver Oil here and here. Shot Recipe: Fermented Cod Liver Oil […]

28. CLO sandwich is the best way to take CLO. Put some oj or other juice in a glass then the CLO and top it with more juice and drink it. You won’t know that there is any CLO in it.