Kid-Friendly Cough Syrup

guest March 4, 2014

Editor’s Note: This is a guest post from Nicole Walters. Nicole is married to a wonderful man and mama to three children under 3.5. She blogs about real food, navigating corn allergies, and living on a budget at www.honeysweetened.com.

My 3-year-old, 1-year-old and husband all approved the taste of this cough syrup. I’ve also found it to be helpful with all of them.  It’s especially helpful with a congestion-related cough.

Why I created it

The last two winters (she’s only three) my daughter has gotten a cough that just stays and stays. Think months. Eventually I take her to the doctor and we use a nebulizer containing a steroid breathing treatment for a few days and it finally goes away. She recently got a cold or a virus and now her cough seems to have settled into that same pattern – for three weeks now. It gets hard for her to sleep due to coughing. She’s thrown up from coughing so hard. I can’t take her anywhere without people thinking I’ve brought a germy child around them.

Obviously, this cough is rough on her and I don’t want her to feel bad. I’d prefer to avoid the medicine route if we can, so I’ve been trying to find some natural cough remedies that will at least allow her to rest at night and give us time to see if it will go away without other treatment. After trying a few different things (warm water with lemon and honey, a spoon of coconut oil, some honey, nettle tea, and so on) I settled on this recipe as the best for us. It incorporates some of the better elements, I know why each ingredient is helpful, and it tastes so good she keeps asking for more.

The Components

Lemon Juice

Lemons are good for detoxing the body, in this case from an illness. They are also high in vitamin C, which is immune boosting. It is naturally anti-viral and anti-inflammatory. It’s also good for breaking up mucous that may be on the throat causing the cough.

Honey

Honey, especially raw honey, is well known for its many benefits. It is anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and full of antioxidants. If you’re careful with only slightly heating this and you buy local raw honey it should help even more with an allergy related cough due to honey’s ability to help arm your immune system for dealing with local allergens.

Coconut Oil

Coconut oil has many amazing properties, but the important ones here are the anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory properties. All these make it perfect for fighting winter colds and viruses. It has even been shown that coconut oil can bolster the immune system by improving white blood cell counts, which directly fights viruses and infections.

Together this syrup fights inflammation, bacteria, and viruses while soothingly coating the throat and breaking up mucous.

How to Make It

4 Tablespoons Lemon Juice

1/3 Cup Honey (Preferably Raw)

2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil

Pic 1

Place in a small pot and gently heat on a very low temperature, just enough to melt the coconut oil and warm the honey to mix easily.

Pic 2

For long term, you should store in the refrigerator but I leave it on the counter for a few days when there is illness in the house. Near the stove or warm crock pot (I use mine often for making broth when sick) will keep the coconut oil melted. Otherwise the coconut oil will solidify and you will need to melt it again before administering.

Administer it whenever coughing occurs, can give multiple teaspoons as needed. Honey is not recommended for those under 1 year of age.

Add-ins

We’ve also added a bit of oregano oil into the syrup when fighting off something pretty bad. Oregano oil is an amazing natural antibiotic. Be sure to use a high quality essential oil for ingestion.

Cayenne pepper or Apple Cider Vinegar can also nicely break up the mucous causing many coughs.

How do you treat coughs at home? What other things would you add?

guest

1. Just made this, hope it helps our coughing children!

2. I don’t know how good it would taste but add Cinnamon. Maybe nix the lemon if adding cinnamon.

3. Thanks for the recipe! I hope your bub gets over having croup quickly!

4. This sounds wonderful! One thing you may want to mention though is that you cannot give a child under one year honey since it could give them botulism :/

5. I am making this for my little guy who has had lots of coughing and congestion. Would you add the apple cider vinegar directly too this mixture? What portion would you think would be good?

6. Dayna – I would add about a tablespoon of ACV for my kids, you could always start with a lower amount and add more as they tolerate it. My kids like sour. Or you could easily sub some of the lemon juice with ACV.

Amelia- I did mention that honey isn’t recommended under 1. 🙂

7. Great remedy for kids’ coughs. Added more powerful ingredients that stops cough easily. Thanks for your tip..I prepare it at home….

8. Use Maple Syrup in place of the honey or Karo Syrup for kids under 1 YR OLD

9. I made the above recipe and added 4 drops of Theives Oil and 1 tbs of Turmeric. Still tasted semi-sweet but Theives is great at fighting viral and bacterial infections common with the cold and the Turmeric is an immune booster.

10. The flu has hit our house so I whipped up a batch of this for myself and my 18-month-old. He doesn’t love it, but certainly doesn’t mind it, but he slept well last night for the first time! I’m sitting here drinking echinacea tea with a tablespoon of this stuff mixed in and I have no idea yet how well it will work, but it is DELICIOUS! I did sub 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice with ACV.

11. I made a cough syrup similar to this but added (to a cup of honey, 1/4 c lemon juice) 2tsp tumeric, 1/8 tsp black pepper and crushed a clove of garlic. Little kids didn’t like the garlic, the older ones didn’t mind. But it did help kick my cough.

12. Stumbled in this in Pinterest. Keeping it for future reference since my son is sensitive to red dye 40 which appears to be in all kids cough meds! Thanks!

13. On average, how long has this taken to work for everyone?

14. I was wondering if it had to be coconut oil? Can Extra Virgin Olive oil be used as a sub?

15. Thank you so much for sharing, I just made this for my 8 year old son. He has a dry cough that has lasted for about 4 days, I bought over the counter medicine but it just works for 4 hours. So we are trying your remedy 🙂 I gave him 2 teaspoons is that enought??

16. Wanted to thank you for this recipe. My 12 year old normally hides when I reach for the cough syrup. Short of forcing it down his throat I’ve always had a difficult time getting him to take any kind of medication. This recipe saved us a lot of stress!!! After trying it he now reaches for it when he feels he needs it. Its doubly nice since I no longer have to worry about over medicating him, he gets as much as needs when he needs it. I can;t thank you enough for this recipe!!!

17. Oregano oil tastes awful. But I take it neat, one drop on my tongue every couple of hours till I feel better. I have to feel really horrible to resort to it.

• try steeping a cup of oregano tea. Use 1 teasp. dry oregano in a cup of boiling water. Add honey to sweeten to taste. I think its more paletable. I actually use my Kuerig and the refillable pods and it works great.

18. If refrigerated, do you have to melt it all over again if it’s needed then refrigerate again?

19. Thank you, thanks you! It’s 5am and I have been up with a coughing child for 4hrs and I have tried everything! I had all ingredients on hand and made this Her cough stopped within 5 min. I could cry, I’m so happy. Too late to go to bed, but at least she can rest.

20. Can I use lemon essential oil instead of lemon juice if I don’t have any? If so how much should I use?

21. it is possible that a cough that lasts all winter, mainly at night is an allergic reactiom to the down or feathers in the blanckets and pillows. my friend’s son allmost had surgery before she realised by chance this that was the reason for the cough. (english is not my first languge so sorry for the mistakes)